Re: “Tell us about your stash” via Sew, Mama, Sew!
* What do you usually sew?
It varies based on my mood…during warmer weather I tend to gravitate towards cute little tops and dresses, but lately I’ve been making lots of useful items for around the apartment like placemats and rugs.
* When you shop for fabric, what size cuts do you usually buy? (i.e. If you see something beautiful, but you don’t have a use for it right away, how much do you buy?)
I tend to buy lots of fat quarters. They’re a great size for a multitude of sewing projects, and it gives me a chance to sample lots of new fabrics. If I like the print, I usually go back for more.
* Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need?
Usually I have a color in mind or a theme, like floral or retro, but sometimes I stumble across fabrics I never thought of before!
* Are you a pre-washer? If you are, do you wash your fabric before you need it, or only when you’re ready to use it?
Recently I am; I used to just start cutting and stitching before washing the fabric. But now I take the time to wash and iron out all the wrinkles before folding it up and tucking it away for later.
* Do you iron it?
Yes and it can be a pain if I don’t take it out of the dryer in time.
* How do you sort it? (color, print size, collection, etc.)
Unfortunately I don’t have the luxury of a lot of space to have my fabric all organized by color or collection. If I had the room, I would definitely organize it by color!
* Do you have any special folding techniques?
Nope. Whatever makes it look the neatest.
* How do you store your fabric?
Again, not a whole lot of space in a one bedroom apartment that I share. But for now, it resides in a storage box from Ikea in my bookcase in the living room.
* What tips do you have for building up a well-rounded stash?
I started out collecting fabrics that I thought were interesting or with patterns and colors I really loved. Now that I’m starting to quilt and not just make garments and bags, I understand the need for filler fabrics that give the eye a place to rest. You need a fair balance of both.
* When do you say enough is enough?
Um…I’m not sure when one reaches that point…
* What are some of your favorite stash-busting projects?
I’m loving the fat quarter project ideas on Sew Mama Sew. Or even just putting together quilt blocks with random bits of fabric is fun, too.