Last night I started the fitting process on my wedding dress pattern, Marfy 568, which just arrived from Milan this week (fancy, right?). I was so giddy to start working on this yesterday, it was all I could think about until I got home from work! Unlike the previous patterns I tried out earlier this year, I’m using a nicer poly charmeuse fabric to mock up the gown that better mimics the drape I want to achieve. The neckline is perfection, and I love the kimono sleeves – just need to alter the bodice to fit correctly, since the pattern is sized too big in the bust.
I’m a little hesitant about the skirts actually! They all need to be cut on a single layer and are extremely wide, which is going to pose a potential problem with finding silk and chiffon/georgette that’s wide enough to cut out the pattern pieces. On top of that, the “instructions” printed on the pattern pieces are pretty vague, which I expected – I’m not sure what “loose” means along the waist, and grainlines are not printed but instead the wording “on the grain” is printed along an edge. I also thought, based on looking at the illustration and not seeing a seam down the center back of the bodice, that the zipper was going to be a side zip. Nope! It’s all the way down the back…with no side seams in the skirts whatsoever. This may mean that I need to have a center front seam in the underskirt layer, which I’m not too keen on…but there’s no way that I can figure out how to cut out that pattern, I’d need fabric at least 100″ wide to have only one seam in the center back.
Anyway, lots to figure out this weekend!